HERricane Arlington was selected as one of the Top Summer camps in Northern Virginia in 2018 by Northern Virginia Magazine!
Call 9-1-1. Use a fire extinguisher. Start CPR. Spot a tornado. Issue a warning. Stop an outbreak. Prepare disaster supplies. Assess storm damage. Organize a rescue team. SAVE LIVES.
HERricane Arlington empowers women to pursue careers and leadership roles in emergency management through a week-long “camp,” and also includes long-term professional development opportunities. Our program provides hands-on, developmental training in:
- Incident Management
- Natural Hazards
- Public Health (including CPR certification)
- Communications and Public Speaking
- All-Hazards Preparedness
- Leadership Skills, such as Teamwork, Ethics, Self-Awareness, Stress Management and Resolve
Continued education provides additional career development, volunteer, and educational opportunities through book clubs, watch parties, and outreach events. Mentorships and internships will also be available.
- Vision: HERricane Arlington is a “key to success” for women exploring and pursuing careers in emergency management.
- Mission: To develop and elevate women as leaders in emergency management, while expanding the image of emergency management profession as a positive force for improving public safety and government.
- Values: The HERricane promotes the following values:
- Synergy. Recognize the value and importance of uniting a group of diverse individuals into a single, power force. We seek to provide pro-social professional connection and an environment of collegiality.
- Grit. We believe in the distinct combination of passion, resilience, determination, and focus that allows a person to maintain discipline and optimism is a key to success in any career, as well as for any organization.
- Adventure, Creativity, and Open-Mindedness: We utilize and promote ingenuity in our programming as a means to foster this quality in our membership and organization. Emergency management as a discipline, as well as career, is notoriously complicated, atypical, and non-traditional- requiring resourcefulness, positivity, and inventiveness.
- Professional Excellence: Excellence is not perfection; rather the confident pursuit of the high quality and persistent integrity. We seek this for our participants as well as for our program.[/one_half_last]
- Dates: June 24-28
- Cost: $225, scholarships available
- Ages 13-17
Beyond Camp: The Aftermath
- Teen Book Club, Ropes Course, and Kitten Yoga!
- 24 Hours of Community Service