Making a family disaster plan involves discussing what your family will do during an actual emergency.
- Meeting Place in the event your home is inaccessible.
- Contacts – identify an out-of-town friend or relative as a point of contact.
- Personalize – Plan for the specific needs of your household, such as transportation or medical equipment.
- Go-Bag – Prepare a kit with essential items to last at least three days:
- Battery-powered radio and extra batteries
- Non-perishable food and a can opener
- First aid kit and medications
- Pet supplies
Resources for Making a Plan
Be Ready, Make a Plan: You can download forms, get alerts from around the National Capital Region (NCR), and find out how the NCR has prepared for an emergency.
Pet Preparedness: Remember the animals.
Nuclear Attacks: What can you do in a nuclear attack? Knowing this information could save your life.
American Red Cross: Find useful information about preparing for specific emergencies from heat waves to chemical emergencies.
American Red Cross, National Capital Chapter: Local American Red Cross chapter providing resources, classes and assistance to the Arlington County community.
Ready.gov: Get useful checklists, downloads, and information to keep you family, business, and kids prepared during an emergency.
Wireless Communications: Tips from Verizon to help wireless device users prepare an emergency communications plan and stay connected in the event of an emergency.